Re: Perl DBI Question

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:34:12 -0700

> I am a newbie at trying to use Perl. I wanted to get the DBI/DBD
> modules installed on a HP-UX 11i machine, but...well... I'm getting
> compile errors from the 'make' step, and I'm not a 'c' programmer,
> and I have no idea what's wrong.
>
> Does anybody have either a cookbook on how to install Perl DBI
> on HP-UX, or an already-compiled distro of same? I'm using
> (ok...pretending to use) Perl v5.8.2 (from HP) on HP-UX 11i.

Did you try google?

The first hit on DBI HP Perl 5.8.2 seemed useful.

Essentially, the solution was to get a real compiler.

You will likely need to start from scratch.

Get gcc for HP

Compile Perl and locate it in a private directory.

I use /home/oracle, with oracle as the owner.

Then compile DBI, DBD::Oracle, etc.

This is a good idea for several reasons.

Don't mess with the stock perl, unless it is on a test machine, and/or you really know what you are doing.

You can muck around with a private version without incurring the wrath of your SA.

Jared