Re: standards

From: Peter Robson <pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:54:49 +0100

Hmmm, challenging. I liked the suggestion of looking for worst practices first. But be careful - some organisations don't like to be told about that sort of thing...

FWIW - I established standards based on all manner of experience, user feedback, etc etc, and then documented those standards into the database itself. 'Metadata', with its own schema. Then I built a large number of exception reports which a) validate that the metadata is itself consistent and complete, and b) tests with exception reporting that the database-proper conforms to the standards expressed in the metadata. There is a satisfying orthogonality to having everything in the database. Saves wear on the carpet too...

Last point - it is a MAJOR and time-consuming undertaking, and will continue for as long as you are running a database.

peter
edinburgh

ps - talking about a) & b) at UK-OUG this autumn

--

    mailto:pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk

This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If this message was not addressed to you, you have received it in error and any copying, distribution or other use of any part of it is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of the British Geological Survey. The security of e-mail communication cannot be guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability for claims arising as a result of the use of this medium to transmit messages from or to the
BGS. .                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk