RE: standards

From: Ellis R. Miller <sartre1_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 03:11:48 -0600

To anyone asked to produce IT "standards" or documentation just make sure to ask your IT Manager if he/she likes "Dukes of Hazzard," hates people who think they are smarter than everyone else, and could just, oh, I don't know what, to people who work too much and have too many books before you go off trying to implement. All joking aside, if you don't know find out before you risk your job as there is no point in trying to change the IT world when ain't nobody this side of the Mississippi or UAW wants it changed.

For three months I wrestled with the security "dilemma" of the Oracle user, SYS and SYSTEM, and even root, in some cases, having the eternal (unlike James Martin it didn't expire) password "mudpie" at APS...across the entire IT infrastructure. After being chastised for thinking too hard I resigned and let McKesson pay for my next date with contestant number two, Steve Wang, the Asian old school DBA the audience had chosen. Yet, before Steve and I could even have our ninth fight and almost six weeks after I left APS, having spent at least seven hours a day being lectured about thinking I was smarter than everyone else for learning how to type in the 7th grade (Christ, I never knew there were people that stupid), my former boss Al Rodriquez, who now graces the halls of DHL in Scottsdale, AZ had former peers from APS (Brent Killion, Mark Johnson Barbier, etc.) calling my house and cell phone asking for the hundreds of pages of documentation I had produced. I was even given tickets to a Diamondbacks game which I gave to some guy who tried to sell me Middle-Eastern oil paintings the same afternoon. In the end, NOBODY in the IT department at Palo Verde or APS proper cared or were even concerned on May, 2002 that the security audit findings were never implemented but they wanted that documentation they had bought and paid for @$60/hr.

In fact, the only compliment during my three months contracting that was not laced with a subtle threat of UAW-like violence was for some fine OEM documentation I generated.

You go trying to implement that documentation, boy, and you gonna find some people who don't care for your fancy, college IT standards and they ain't afraid to show it.

Ellis

PS By the way, they never received the documentation but there was many a late night when my wife and I sat in the coolness of the night having that last stiff drink smiling listening to Al on my answering machine asking, again, if I had the time to find the documentation and if not could I please take another look (I liked to picture him in a hoop dress with red heels scrubbing my kitchen floor while asking). In the end, I sent it to the Office of Homeland Security for my boy Al and the crew at APS...so all of us would have a copy.