RE: OT: linux kernel process krefilld

From: Rognes, Sten <Sten.Rognes_at_schwab.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:32:42 -0700

> and you really should consider using direct I/O. You can also use it
against OCFS,
> which is quite easy to download and link. I'm not quite sure how would
tar, ls
> and other utilities work against it, but I do intend to try it for the
Labor Day.

If you want to copy files to/from OCFS you might want to take a look at patches 2883583 and 2913284. These contain o_direct enabled file utilities like cp, tar etc.

At an Oracle/Linux SIG group a month or so back, I was told that Oracle no longer recommends using asynch IO with OCFS. Apparently there had been some cases with data corruption running RAC/OCFS/2.4 kernel/asynch IO. The engineer first used the phrase "design flaw", but later moderated himself to blame it on a shortcoming in the 2.4 kernel in combination with fragmentation. Apparently Oracle is/was working with Linux vendors, and this is expected not to be an issue with the 2.6 kernel. My impression is that these cases were rare, but still something you might want to look into before going production with OCFS.

I've noticed Metalink articles states OCFS/asynch IO works with RH21 e24 kernel or higher, but are not officially supported.

Sten