Re: 9.2.0.5 on Opteron

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:35:19 -0700 (PDT)

> Hey List,

> Is anyone running the 64-bit Opteron with 9.2.0.5 on
> RedHat ES 3? Are there any issues with it?

> Thanks,

> Todd

Tried to.
HP could not supply a 64 bit driver for their integrated RAID controller prior to the eval period expiring. As it was an eval unit, I was not permitted to de-cable it from the integrated RAID on main board controller to the integrated ultra320SCSI controller.

It ended up being tested with w2k3 server on it. 32bit.
bugger. missed opportunity.

The new Sun Opteron-based Servers look good, and I'll bet that they have 64 bit driver support.

I'm not terribly happy with HP these days. (large sponsor of recent SCO conference). Not having the best of luck with Dell Storage service either. I'm definitely interested in Sun's new offerings, but I hope that they are done sending billions to Redmond.

not willing to separate politics from hardware recommendations ... I vote - every time I recommend or purchase a system.

Pd