Re: Cary, Connor, Niall, Noons, HJR on RAID 5 - c.d.o.s

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:15:43 +0200

Well, perhaps it was a good thing you posted it to the world. Perhaps, if you have enough eggs running down your face, it eventually can become an omelet. I don't know.

So all the BAARF members are idiots. Oh well. Just makes for funnier Party Conventions.

To be a bit more serious: If this was just theoretical speculation that would be one thing. But most of the people that ask for membership of BAARF have experienced the same as James Morle describes in my interview with him, namely that "the write penalty and failure landscape deteriorate in direct proportion to the number of disks in the RAID-5 rank."

It's especially the failure landscape that most of us have seen and cursed about. In the real world. Not just because the spec for RAID-F looks outdated and misplaced in the modern world of (soon to come!) cheap disks.

But I shouldn't complain. Last night at 1930 we got a call from a German company with, to put it mildly, some disk problems ... at 2100 Michael Möller caught the last flight out of Copenhagen bound for Germany, and he's been working without sleep ever since.

Kind regards from a part-owner of a consulting company who is paid per hour...

Mogens

PS: This omelet guy might be the most un-civilized thing yet seen on any newsgroup or mailing list. I think it's time to either let Mladen loose on him or let Jared run the newsgroup, depending on how you want to fight this kind of thing: Hot or Cold.. :-))).