Sorta OT: Transaction Prestidigitation Council and Oracle

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:20:07 -0500

As I'm (finally) skimming the July/August OraMag, featuring The List's very own April Wells, I spy an Oracle ad touting 1.18M tpmC on Oracle and RHAS3 Linux. When I looked at the hardware ( http://www.tpc.org/results/individual_results/HP/HP%20Integrity%20rx5670%20Cluster%2064P_ES.pdf), I thought it was funny that for 93+TB of disk on the server cluster, they have a single 20/40GB DAT drive. Doing some quick assumptions (all RAID10, HDs 50% full, tape compression 50%) and math, that's about 23TB of data to be backed up onto 690 DAT tapes. At about 3MB/second transfer rates and tape swapping, that's about 3 months to do one backup. And I have no idea what you do if you need a restore at day 70 of the backup...

All this can be yours for the low low price of $6.5M!

And upon further inspection of the Full Discloser, all SAN sets are RAID0 and the data took up 70TB, so let's push that backup figure back to 6 months.

At least they were able to keep the cluster up more than 15 minutes at a time, unlike Microsoft...

Ah well, it's nice that Oracle's on top again, I suppose. :)

Rich