RE: oracle 9i LogMiner

From: Raj Jamadagni <rjamya_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 07:12:26 -0700 (PDT)

Dennis,

You are welcome ... we learned it the hard way.

To answer your questions ...

  1. No, it is generally very fast operation.
  2. We build dictionaries for all production databases on a daily basis at 5:50am through cron. We also re-build them on demand if there is a need.

Yes, we have (somewhat) strict change management, but operations like logminer and related tasks fall under (what is broadly catagorized as) "DBA Essentials", so are exempt from strict change controls and we have freedom to manipulate them. This was granted because building a text file (dictionary) has no business impact whatsoever, apart from some disk consumed, but then again disk is cheap 8:)

Plus to make the powers to be happy, we move archive files etc using backup private networks so we don't impact interconnects and public network when we move huge amount data across different nodes. Multiple network paths rock !!

Cheers
Raj

> Raj
> Thanks. Excellent tip. My problem was that I hadn't previously used
> LogMiner, so I wasn't sure how harmless it is to create a dictionary. Also,
> I thought maybe LogMiner would treat the databases as identical -- learned
> that ain't so.
> But even without a dictionary, LogMiner did yield a lot of useful
> information.
> This brings up a couple of questions for the list:
> 1. Has creating a LogMiner dictionary ever caused anyone a database
> problem?
> 2. If your site is under change management, do you file a change request
> in order to create a LogMiner dictionary?
>
> Dennis Williams
> DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
>
> "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means
> doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case,
> the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."
> -- C.S. Lewis

Best Regards
Raj

select mandatory_disclaimer from company_requirements;

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail