RE: Histograms - SIZE clause & num_buckets anomaly

From: Charudatta Joshi <joshic_at_mahindrabt.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:57:44 +0530

Hi Lex,

Been thinking about this comment of yours:

>>I agree that frequency histograms give the ultimate information about a
>>column population, compared with height-based histograms, but on the other
>>hand the performance should be "comparable" -- that is, the height-based
>>histogram with a reasonably high number of buckets shouldn't give bad
>>execution plans.

Currently, wherever possible & applicable, I (blindly) have the number of buckets equal to the number of distinct values. This means that whenever number of distinct values is less than 255, that is my bucket size.

Given the fact that histogram maintenance can be very expensive, I now wonder if I should try to get the same benefit using less number of buckets. I guess in this case the logic for determining the bucket size will vary from case to case. But in general:

I realize the answers can vary from case to case, still a general opinion will be much appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Charu.

Disclaimer:

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Visit us at http://www.mahindrabt.com