RE: stupid grant question

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:01:08 -0400

I suppose you could grant execute on a wrapper package owned by an account with the appropriate authority, but unless the enumerated number of tables to be so handled is very small you would be prone to death by clutter. If you wrote the wrapper to take a table name as an argument, you would be effectively granting "any" for exec dbms_stats. I'm not sure whether the latter solution would be allowed within your rule book. If the package is owned by an account with "any" capability, I suppose that would violate your rules. Maybe you have few enough combinations of users "A" and "B" that you could create the package for each "B" and grant execute for each "A" from each "B."

(The death by clutter issues here seem very similar to the original implementation of the e-Business suite, where enumerated cross synonyms and grants seemed like a pretty good idea when there were only about 6 schemas involved.)

good luck

mwf