RE: Histograms - SIZE clause & num_buckets anomaly

From: Charudatta Joshi <joshic_at_mahindrabt.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:57:18 +0530

Thanks for the info, Lex.

BTW, how come SKEWONLY option created requisite number of buckets?

Having experienced it's (adverse) effect on execution plan, I AM surprised that this isn't a well known and documented fact. I had searched Web, Metalink, AskTom, FMs, and could not pick any mention of this. It may be that:

  1. I hadn't searched carefully enough.
  2. Not many people pay attention to histogram creation.
  3. Not too many shops have D/W environments (which would make DBAs consider histograms).
  4. I am overestimating the impact of the issue.

Must be one or more of the above. I still think this needs to be fixed (has it been, in 10G?) i.e. instead of choosing some number more than 50%, there should be a better way.

Anyways, it was nice to get the doubt solved.

Thanks & regards,
Charu.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Charudatta Joshi Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 14:41
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Thanks Wolfgang,

Yes, doubling the size parameter created frequency based histograms. Seems very weird though. BTW, I am seeing exactly the same behaviour in 8.1.7.4 environment.

And unless one is aware of this quirk, this creation of height-based histograms instead of f.b. histograms will affect the query execution plans adversely, isn't it? Hasn't any bug been raised on this? Or is some kind of 'feature'?

Good point about using analyze to delete related index statistics.

Thanks & Regards,
Charu.