10g on Linux

From: Ken Payton <Ken.Payton_at_choicepointprg.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:00:38 -0400

I need to install Oracle on the below configuration. We have 20GB of = memory and are running the hugemem kernel. I would like to take = advantage of this as much as possible. We have already installed 10g = and got it working with the huge memory footprint based on Oracle docs = with little issue. No patching was required, although patches are = necessary for 9i. =20

It is my recommendation to run 10g but would appreciate feedback in = regard to 10g vs 9i given this configuration. I have recommendation = against 10g in the past(on solaris), although I believe there is a = better case given this configuration. I believe 10g will be more = reliable based on the dedication Oracle has had to the Linux platform = over the past two years, primarily while 10g has been developed. It is = my understanding that Oracle is building on Linux first and then porting = to other OS's. Are there any thoughts out there about this? If anyone = has any experiences they would like to share it would be much = appreciated. I am interested in both sides of the story, although = success stories would make me much happier.

Overview
- single instance (Non-RAC)