Re: Question about Read-Only Snapshots

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:19:03 -0700

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 13:36, Koivu, Lisa wrote:

> My question is, in Step #1: Does the materialized view log have to be
> owned by the same schema that owns the base table?

Yes, at least as of 8i. You can create it as another user, but it will be in the schema of the table owner.

> If I can, I'd like to separate the mv logs so the users who browse the
> database aren't confused. In TOAD, snapshot logs show up under the
> TABLES tab. Sounds silly I know but the less complex this is for the
> developers, the better off we will be.

Educate them. I've heard it can be done.

Alternatives are to rewrite the USER_ views, which I have done. Not for the faint of heart. It's a pain.

> So if I can create the materialized view log under another schema, which
> schema do I select from across the database link in Step #2? The MV
> owner or the table owner?

See the first question.

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Have a great weekend, everyone

If my car's engine doesn't overheat, it will be a good weekend. :)

Jared