Question about Read-Only Snapshots

From: Koivu, Lisa <Lisa.Koivu_at_Cendant-TRG.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:36:27 -0400

Hello All,

I need to implement read-only snapshots across a database link - the simplest replication. Here's the steps I took:

  1. Created a materialized view log on a table in the source db I want to snap over
  2. Created a materialized view in the target database selecting over the db link
  3. Created the refresh job

It seems to work.

My question is, in Step #1: Does the materialized view log have to be owned by the same schema that owns the base table?

If I can, I'd like to separate the mv logs so the users who browse the database aren't confused. In TOAD, snapshot logs show up under the TABLES tab. Sounds silly I know but the less complex this is for the developers, the better off we will be.

So if I can create the materialized view log under another schema, which schema do I select from across the database link in Step #2? The MV owner or the table owner?

I tried to read the replication manual but it starts with a messy multimaster and MV implementation.. I don't need that, it was so confusing. I want to understand the basics, know how they work, and start with a simple implementation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Have a great weekend, everyone

Lisa Koivu

Senior Monkey

Orlando, FL, USA

"The sender believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and its attachments could have been infected during transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking proactive and remedial action about viruses and other defects. The sender's business entity is not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message or its attachments."