RE: Normalization

From: Singer, Phillip (P.W.) <psinger1_at_ford.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:37:34 -0400

-----Original Message-----

From:	oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Jared Still
Sent:	Thu 7/29/2004 4:05 PM
To:	Oracle-L Freelists
Subject:	Re: Normalization

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 11:09, Daniel Fink wrote:
> I recall a quotation to the effect that no database will perform adequately
> in 3rd Normal Form. To me this defines the difference between theory and

I first saw this in the first editon of the Official Oracle DBA Hanbook, published by Oracle Press; the edition which covered Version 6 and the beginnings of Version 7.(circa 1993) I no longer have that book, but I remembered it being in the 8i edition. I found it on page 323, where it is attributed to ORACLE8: the Complete Reference. I don't know if it has disappeared from more recent editions.

The reason for bringing this all up is that 10 years ago, this was reasonable advice. In the systems I have worked with in the last two years, I have honestly never come accross a situation where denormalizing was ever needed. In fact, we have had several situations where the solution was to re-normalize an old denormalized design.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat