RE: SHOULD WE ANALYZE 9.2 SYS tables?

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kedeshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:49:30 -0700 (PDT)

The 9205 patch set release note mentions following:

" Upgrade and SYS Schema

This is a generic issue applicable to the upgrade mode, for example, alter database open migrate. During an upgrade from release 9.2.0.1 to release 9.2.0.2, release 9.2.0.3, release 9.2.0.4 or release 9.2.0.5, the catpatch.sql script can take a long time if there are statistics for the SYS schema. The user should delete the statistics on all the objects in the SYS schema, and then re-collect the statistics after normal database open, if necessary.

To drop and re-create the statistics, run the following commands:

dbms_stats.delete_schema_stats('SYS');
dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats('SYS'); "

so.. is 9i really ready for stats on SYS schema tables/clusters/indexes?? I surely don't gather stats on SYS schema, yet.

Regards,

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail