Re: Lost PERFSTAT bridge scripts Found it

From: Tim Gorman <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 03:37:30 -0600

Thanks for the post of Mr Hurley's material. Especially useful is the use of AUTONOMOUS TRANSACTION pragma, although I've not found it to be necessary...

I can understand performing a STATSPACK.SNAP before database shutdown, to "flush" any values to disk before they are lost, but I am at a loss to understand the reason to perform a STATSPACK.SNAP in an AFTER STARTUP database-event trigger?

on 7/29/04 1:49 PM, Wolfson Larry - lwolfs at wrote:

> Guess I didn't get specific enough on Google the first time.
> Sorry
> January's Tip of the Month
> Automatic Statspack Snapshots at Shutdown and Startup
> Compliments of Darryl Hurley, Pipeline SYSOP (
> Oracle?s Statspack utility provides a straightforward method of monitoring
> database performance statistics. The process is simple; take interval
> snapshots of performance indicators and then run reports to see how much the
> indicators have changed during the interval(s).
> Problems arise when intervals span an Oracle shutdown because comparing
> interval values across them is illogical. Here?s an example:
> 10:00 PM Statspack Snapshot #33 shows Physical Reads = 100000
> 10:15 PM Database Shutdown
> 10:20 PM Database Restarted
> 11:00 PM Statspack Snapshot #34 shows Physical Reads = 100
> At this point a StatsPack Report comparing snapshot #33 to snapshot #34
> would claim that ?99900 physical reads had occurred. Actually the report
> would begin with this self-explanatory text:
> ERROR: Snapshots chosen span an instance shutdown: RESULTS ARE INVALID
> It?s impossible to report across a shutdown, but it is possible to reduce
> the lost periods of time (10:00 to 10:15 and 10:20 to 11:00 in our example)
> by automatically performing snapshots before shutdown and after startup.
> It?s easily done with BEFORE-SHUTDOWN and AFTER-STARTUP triggers.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

Archives are at
FAQ is at