Re: Normalization

From: Peter Robson <pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:50:53 +0100

Outrageous! And this person TAUGHT???

In line...

PB> Q: What are the basic guidelines one should keep in mind while PB> designing a database? Is denormalization always good?

PB> A:  I used to teach database design in graduate school, and your
PB> question is excellent! The main purpose of high normalization was the
PB> reduction of disk space, back when it mattered in the 1970s.

Absolute utter rubbish - doesn't understand what normalisation is. Doesn't understand what a 'data model' is.

PB> Today, I always introduce redundancy into the model whenever it can
PB> eliminate an SQL join, but not always. I make my decision based on two
PB> criteria:

PB> 1 – The size of the redundant item

PB> 2 – The volatility of the item (e.g. how often do I need to duplicate PB> updates)

Oh please - cannot cope with any more of this nonsense....

Hmmm, it might be interesting to know who it was - then perhaps ignorance is bliss...

peter
edinburgh

PB> =====
PB> Paul Baumgartel
PB> Transcentive, Inc.
PB> www.transcentive.com

    mailto:pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk

This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If this message was not addressed to you, you have received it in error and any copying, distribution or other use of any part of it is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of the British Geological Survey. The security of e-mail communication cannot be guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability for claims arising as a result of the use of this medium to transmit messages from or to the
BGS. .                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk