RE: Anyone implented compiled PL/SQL?

From: Anthony Molinaro <amolinaro_at_wgen.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:14:48 -0400

Ellis,
  That's interesting that you mentioned the 30 - 40% improvement. I benchmarked ncomp for 10 days (albeit, using procs and functions that contain mostly sql with some object type manipulations ) and saw almost no performance improvement.

Also, adding to what you mentioned about mixing interpreted and ncomp'ed procs, I ran into several errors when using UDTs that were interpreted and referenced by a proc/func that was ncomp'd.

What are you doing in your code that provides such a huge performance gain? Is it mostly pl/sql with very little sql references?=20

The benchmark I performed was on 9.2.0.1 and 9.2.0.4 on redhat AS 3.0

The procs I used contained mostly:

Regards,

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Bobak, Mark Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 8:48 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Anyone implented compiled PL/SQL?

Hi,
As part of our move to 9i, we're looking at various features, and I'm wondering about compiled PL/SQL. Does anyone have any experience with it? Any major issues or problems? Is there any gold at the end of the rainbow? (Does it actually provide noticeable performance improvement?)

Thanks,

-Mark

PS Oracle 9.2.0.5 (64-bit) on Solaris 8.

--
Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA