Re: Sun E25K problems with Oracle 9.2.0.4 - 64 Bit Solaris 8

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:37:11 +0100

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 03:41:25 -0700 (PDT), K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> From
> the symptoms , I think there is something obvious missing somewhere and
> you can easily find it ,if you start investigating with event 10046 ;)

Before you do that you'll need to set TIMED_STATISTICS to true though George. My personal view on this is that ALL of your Oracle databases should require the stats to be timed. Unless you like diagnosing problems from partial information.

I'd also suggest that you may have more than one issue.

The first one that looks as if it will be very amenable to diagnosis is the poor performance you get during the Oracle or FS backups. Handily you can predict when this will happen and collect both statspack and 10046 data for exactly the interval you want.

The second possible problem is the one that is popping up unpredicably. With a bit of luck it will have the same root cause, but don't assume that it does. For this one you may need to dive into the wait interface through sqlplus to try and track down the problem when it occurs.

You should also bear in mind that , on your version, 10046 tracing may itself result in excessive run times - this is due to a bug that is fixed in 9205. If this does seem to be happening then again the v$ views don't suffer from this drawback.

Hope that helps some

---
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA