RE: [Q] How to do ORACLE RAC load balance?

From: Nelson, Allan <anelson_at_miswaco.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:08:07 -0500

I have not done RAC yet so I cannot answer your first question but the second one is not RAC specific. The reason connection pooling will work better is that connection pooling works by predefining a fixed number of connections to the database that are persistant. There is only the initial cost of setting up the connections and no cost to tearing them down since they persist.

In client/server each time you want to check you would connect costing you the listener fork/exec cost for new process creation and the network socket setup costs. This does not inhere in CS connections but I infer it from the context of your question.

I suspect that the answer to the first question is that load balancing on RAC is automatic and the software checks pmon, not you. This answer is pure guess.

Allan