RE: Undocumented data dictionary views

From: <J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:22:39 +0300

Boivin,
I think this is very different types of things. One is C code, which is compiled, and no one have access to it source. Then Oracle can introduce hidden parameters, which affect code behaviour. Second - SQL code, which can be accessed normally. And easily dropped then code goes to production. Is there any usefulness from view, which give information about unrealized features?

Jurijs
9268222

http://otn.oracle.com/ocm/jvelikanovs.html

"Boivin, Patrice J" <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
27.07.2004 13:07
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Undocumented data dictionary views

Just curious. Someone asked about an undocumented view that lists all the errors and I followed the train of thought.

Oracle puts parameters that are in progress, or about to be desupported as undocumented parameters. Some of them are used by Technical Support I think.

I was wondering if they do the same thing with data dictionary views, or if
that is pretty much fixed and they introduce them all suddenly when a new version is released.

They do introduce new views from version to version, I was thinking maybe precursors of those might exist in the previous version.

Doesn't sound like it.

It makes sense that they wouldn't -- after all, I imagine there is a (slight) performance hit involved in maintaining data dictionary views. They probably lump them all into the next version's beta and test them there
through their partners.

I know about the base tables and X$ tables.

Pat.