Re: Move table online and update the indexes at the same time.

From: Alexandre Gorbatchev <agorbatchev_at_amadeus.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:51:13 +0200

Tanel,
You are right, we have it. We can hold our transactions for several hours in another tier. For different reasons, this features shouldn't be used in "normal" circumstances. Few seconds during off-peak time is achievable and that's why I was interested in this short term lock. However, I would still prefer simpler solutions and was making sure with all the folks here that I choose optimal way of doing it. Some real-life responses adds a lot to the plain documentation. So thanks a lot for the help. Regards,
Alex

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>@freelists.org on 27-07-2004 12:28 ZE3
Please respond to oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

To:
<oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

cc:

Re: Move table online and update the indexes at the same time.

> A short lock might be a problem - that's because some of "online"
> operation never worked online for our environment - there is just no
> chance to get the lock even looping like a crazy.

Btw, systems with extreme availability requirements (that can't be taken (partially) down even for a minute) usually have high-availability designed
in into several other components/tiers than just the database. For example in your case, deferring your transactions for couple of seconds programmatically would be needed, etc..

Tanel.