Re: Load balancing with RAC according to our own proportions

From: Murali Vallath <murali_vallath_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:37:40 -0700 (PDT)

I don't think I have seen this done out of the box in Oracle 9i, unless you want to do this by writing some code yourself.

In Oracle 10g, this is possible using the distributed workload management feature and the service framework features.

Murali Vallath.
Alexandre Gorbatchev <agorbatchev_at_amadeus.net> wrote: Hi all,
Could you please share your experience with client load balancing with RAC in 9i?
Oracle can do it on its own during connection time but this wouldn't suit our need. We want to define proportions in which connections should be distributed over different nodes. I suppose it's not possible with standard Oracle Net architecture. The applications are connecting over OCI if it makes any difference. We are using dedicated sessions. Sessions are persistent and normally stay connected for days if not months. I think we can initiate reconnect if we need to re-balance but I still don't see any option of how to balance connections automatically by Oracle. For now, I see only application specific approach - the app would have to choose which of the instances it should connect to. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Alex

Murali Vallath

Author : Oracle Real Application Clusters (digital press)