RE: Moving to 9i.....

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:03:28 -0400

Nope, only thing we did was go from db_block_buffers to db_cache_size, set an sga_max_size, and dropped a bunch of _ parameters that had accumulated over the years.

SQL> show parameter pool

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
buffer_pool_keep string buffer_pool_recycle string global_context_pool_size string java_pool_size big integer 33554432 large_pool_size big integer 0 olap_page_pool_size integer 33554432 shared_pool_reserved_size big integer 10905190 shared_pool_size big integer 218103808

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company
Ann Arbor, MI
"Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

From: Bobak, Mark [mailto:Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com] Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 3:31 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Cc: Pandian, Thiru
Subject: Moving to 9i.....

Ok, we're in the midst of moving one of our primary systems to 9i. With the same codebase, going from 8i (32bit on Solaris 8) to 9i (64 bit, on Solaris 8), suddenly, I'm seeing lots of system CPU activity. %sys cpu consumption is running 2 to 1 over %usr, huge numbers of system calls and spins on mutex, according to mpstat. For some reason, Oracle is doing LOTS more system calls. I tried trussing a couple of the hot server processses, I see lots and lots of poll(), pread() and times() sys calls. Inside the db, this translates to lots and lots of latch free on cache buffers chains and library cache. But, I suspect that it's secondary due to the CPU staravtion caused by the heavy syscall activity.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome......

-Mark

PS Just moved from (db_block_buffers, db_keep_pool,db_recycle_pool) to (db_cache_size, db_keep_cache_size, db_recycle_size, and are setting a sga_max_size) and also, no automatic undo.

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company
Ann Arbor, MI
"Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.