Moving to 9i.....

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:30:48 -0400

Ok, we're in the midst of moving one of our primary systems to 9i. With the same codebase, going from 8i (32bit on Solaris 8) to 9i (64 bit, on Solaris 8), suddenly, I'm seeing lots of system CPU activity. %sys cpu consumption is running 2 to 1 over %usr, huge numbers of system calls and spins on mutex, according to mpstat. For some reason, Oracle is doing LOTS more system calls. I tried trussing a couple of the hot server processses, I see lots and lots of poll(), pread() and times() sys calls. Inside the db, this translates to lots and lots of latch free on cache buffers chains and library cache. But, I suspect that it's secondary due to the CPU staravtion caused by the heavy syscall activity.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome......

-Mark

PS Just moved from (db_block_buffers, db_keep_pool,db_recycle_pool) to (db_cache_size, db_keep_cache_size, db_recycle_size, and are setting a sga_max_size) and also, no automatic undo.

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company
Ann Arbor, MI