Re: Connecting SQL Server from Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:39:23 +0100

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:52:40 -0500, Darrell Landrum <darrell_at_landrum.com> wrote:
> Jagadish,
>
> I've written a step by step document for this for use in my office.
> Unfortunately it is there where I can't access it right now (on vac.).
> However, I think there was an Oracle-L thread about that a while back. A
> search for tg4msql might point you that direction.

I have a step by step for generic connectivity up this morning on my site. The example is from a windows environment, so any feed back on Unix differences would be welcomed.

> Licensing disclaimers:
> 1) I'm pretty sure this will count as a client against your Sql Server, so
> if your licensed "per seat", take this into consideration.

Correct.

> 2) I don't know if these heterogeneous services (transparent gateway) are
> licensed seperately, so another thing to find out before using.

Yes they are $15k per server list price. As DTS is free (and fully featured) you might use this as a bargaining chip in license discussions. (i.e it might be cheaper to buy and run MSSQL as a gateway system for disparate data sources using dts than purchasing a single license for the transaparent gateways - BTW they seem to have been renamed open system gateways).

> ----
> Basically, once installed, you'll configure a listener for your gateway
> services that will "emulate" an oracle instance, by listening for connection
> requests like a regular oracle listener only passing it to the Sql Server it
> is configured to talk to. The big, big difference is the only way to use
> this connection is from a database link. You can't talk to it from sqlplus
> or other clients.

Generic connectivity works pretty much the same way, but seems to assume much much less about the capabilities of the remote server. I suspect that there are queries that you can execute utilising transparent gateways that you cannot do with the 'lite' version.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA