RE: flashback query vs. log miner

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kedeshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 07:49:49 -0700 (PDT)

Paula,
 One must use LogMiner if one needs to access data that is more than 5 days old (instance uptime wise). FBQ does not help you. Of course, this changes with Oracle 10g ( and what doesn't? ;).

 Also, with 9i rel 2 SQL enhancement (the AS OF clause) it is very easy to use FBQ to access past data (if it is still available in the undo segments). Accessing the same information via LogMiner is a bit more involved process. With proper privileges, you can let your developers use FBQ, but I doubt if DBAs will allow Developers to play with LogMiner.

 So, I would not use one versus the other all the time, but may be required to use both, depending on the requirement.

Regards,
- Kirti

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail