Re: flashback query vs. log miner (OT: Mladen's being too nice, here's my wife's Friday PM recipe)

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:13:10 +0200

Nobody really knows where Pete is, but I think he's still in Consulting somewhere. His occasional brush with reality is probably what makes his advise and observations more valuable than <something else>. Now, after moving back to Canberra I'm not sure what he has actually seen (most databases require computers and computers require electricity), but he can still answer a few questions here and there.

He wrote a book once. While visiting him in California, I bought the book in the bookstore in order to a) get the book and b) let a small amount of royalty go his way. When I came home to Pete with the book I was informed in Pete's usual diplomatic way that the publisher had gone bankrupt and so no royalties were coming his way - and by the way he had several copies of the book that I could have.

Oh, and he's an old VMS man, of course.

The DECUS (Digital Equipment Corp. User Society or whatever) has been killed by two mergers, but VMS lives on.

On September 17 we have a party here in Maaloev for all the old DECUS members. We will tell stories from the old days (about clusters that just worked, and disks that could be filled 100% without going down) and we will have people from DEComHPaq telling us about the glorious future of VMS on Itanium.

During those presentations we'll have one beer each, and then we'll start drinking, I think. And I think we shall have drinks named "Mark Farnham", "Mladen Gogetemall", "Connor McDonald" and "Pete the Sharman"

So here is a suggestion for all of you out there: Create your own, local DECUS reunion. And serve the official Oracle-L drinks.

Mogens