RE: login delay with 9.2.0.5

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:34:36 -0400

Hmm. Wild shot in the dark -- did formerly local bequeaths inadvertantly become out and back sessions (possibly to a listener log in an inconvenient and unmanaged location?

Otherwise the other poster's suggestions on truss make a great deal of sense as the next thing to try.

Either way, knowing how long before you get to the place where you try to turn the key in the lock on Oracle's front door will tell you where to look for a problem to solve.

Again, good luck.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Mark W. Farnham Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 3:26 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

With delays this long (30 seconds) you should be able to trivially = partition
the delay between sqlnet recognition and oracle rdbms login processing = by
tailing the listener log file. I'm pretty sure it still buffer flushes plenty frequently enough to see if a significant portion of your login = chain
time is before the rdbms is even involved.

This observation won't solve your problem, but it will help tell you = where
to look for it.

Btw you may want to see if you've developed a bottleneck on appending to = the
listener log file. I don't know whether clutter and delays seeking to = the
end of long log files to write are really a problem any more, since long = ago
when they were I adopted a practice of having dated subdirectories and cycling logs. Having adopted that practice (which is well worth the near zero cost of having it just for organizational purposes), I no longer = get
data whether those old problems continue to exist.

good luck

mwf