RE: Creating Histograms

From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:36:17 -0400

In the antique 13 had always been a good luck number, because christ died this tried to become a bad luck numbre,
 but for me is still a good luck number;
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Jonathan Lewis Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 6:19 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

It's an quirky little paradox that big tables are usually fine with a small sample, but small tables need the best possible stats.

An error of 'a couple of rows' in a small table is, after all, likely to be a significant percentage error.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated July 20th

take note of how many records you add to relatively *small* tables. 13 rows added to one of our tables caused hell until we gathered stats again (and it took ages for anyone to admit that anything ahd changed). That would be 13 rows in the sense of another financial year to add to the 2 existing ones - so hardly significant at all :).

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank You.