RE: Urgent Help - advise

From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:00:28 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Riyaz. I had already switchover to standby as production cannot be stopped. THe old primary is still down as sysadmin are working with HP support for the hardware support

Thanks
sanjay
Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud_at_jcpenney.com> wrote: Hi Sanjay
Your question was not clear. So, I am assuming you are trying to convert the former primary to current standby, so that you can switch over later. If this assumption is correct, then the answer 'it depends'. If you have switched over to the standby database gracefully, then you can restore just those four tablespaces and recover the former primary and convert it to standby. Basic premise is that 1) all the redo generated from the primary was propagated to the standby db before the switch 2) Former primary did not generate any redo by itself after the switch and so former primary is essentially a backup of the current primary.
If this premise holds good, then you can restore those 4 tablespaces alone and recover them..

But, If you have kept the primary open after the switch, thereby generating redo or if you have used resetlogs to open the secondary (for some reason), then you must use the current primary (or its backup) to rebuild the standby database.

Let me know if I misunderstood your question.. HTH
Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA