RE: Enterprise edition and Standard edition

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:12:37 +1000

Hi Keith,

Something that may interest you.
I've just been doing a Standard Edition install under 9.2.0.5 on = Windows.
I did a custom install and also found that it said Enterprise.

Logged a TAR and apparently you can't customise a standard edition = install under 9i:

"Anyway, the problem here is that you cannot customize a standard = edition, the standard edition is
a packager and you install custom or standard, but you cannot customize = a 9.2 standard edtion, this is documented in bug#2211325

Hdr: 2211325 9.0.1 RDBMS 9.0.1 APPLICATION PRODID-662 PORTID-453 Abstract: CAN'T CUSTOMIZE 9.0.1 STANDARD EDITION INSTALL status: not feaxible to fix
PROBLEM:
1. Clear description of the problem encountered:=20 In opposition to 8.0 and 8.1 it is impossible to make a custom install of a Standard Edition. If Custom is selected, v$version shows=20 "Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.2.0 - Production" .....
last update
Spoke to product management about this and the decision was not to have = a customized=20
SE install. We will update the docs in 10i to reflect this = appropriately."

The bug is at =
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_da= tabase_id=3DBUG&p_id=3D2211325

The "workaround" is to install the standard edition (ie get starter DB = etc) and then use the OUI to deinstall what you don't want.

I was told to talk to License Sales to find out the effect of this on = our license - instead I'm removing Oracle totally and doing a standard = Standard Install.

HTH,
Bruce Reardon

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and = may contain legally privileged information. If you are not an = authorised recipient, the copying or distribution of this e-mail and any = attachments is prohibited and you must not read, print or act in = reliance on this e-mail or attachments. This notice should not be = removed.