Advanced unix syntax with exp/imp files > 2GB

From: Martin, Alan (Contractor) (DLIS) <Alan.S.Martin_at_dla.mil>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:59:16 -0400

Metalink Note 1057099.6, Workaround #2 shows the following exp / imp statements for splitting and compressing at the same time: Export command:
$ echo|exp file=>(compress|split -b 1024m - expdmp-) userid=scott/tiger
tables=X

Import command:
$ echo|imp file=<(cat expdmp-*|zcat) userid=scott/tiger tables=X

I have 2 dump files: expdmp-aa and expdmp-ab.

When I try the import command above, I get: ksh:syntax error: `(' unexpected

I understand what's happening in the (...), but how does this "in-line pipe file" work syntax-wise, and why the "echo"? Does the "echo" somehow allow the use of ">" and "<"?

Please comment (in detail) how this works. Since I got a syntax error, is there a typo in the ML note?

Thanx,

Alan Martin
Database Administrator
Northrup Grumman Information Technology