RE: !! oracle startup problem - need help

From: Ellis R. Miller <sartre1_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:59:45 -0600

True, true...but you know how the industry shuns reading comprehension.

I have often been accused of LAMP-related witchery and other forms of Oracle/Java devil worship just for having too many (more than one with a publication date from the past decade). Besides, why would anyone read an Oracle book especially if "the cumpny won't pay for 'em."

True story: a guy by the name of Keith Foster of Wells Fargo (notice I do not change the names like the FBI) needed an Oracle 9iAS book back in the Spring of 2001. I immediately sat down at his laptop to order one online. Being a contractor who was being courted for full time employment Keith had to laugh and kindly ask for me to stop typing as Wells pays for "those kind of project related resources." "Really," I asked. "Of course, Ellis," Keith replied, "it is just one book." A week later he had to break the bad news to me that John Muhlstein, our illustrious IT Manager didn't have the required $59.99 in the IT budget.

Now, having long since disregarded the "Successories" posted by HR and the glossy colored brochures about "employees are our greatest resource," (I think the Egyptians used to utilize similar postings while the Israelites were in captivity) I smiled and presented Keith with an early Christmas present, an Oracle 9iAS reference book that had, coincidentally, arrived the same afternoon we discovered our IT department was illiquid. Amazed, like an incredibly grateful girlfriend, he asked me how I knew. Well, kids, I am no "Raven" (my daughters watch that show on Nick) I just know my old school IT departments better than I ever came to know Jesus back in my formative years in Ohio. Thus, I had ordered the 9iAS book the same night from my home LAN.

I have over two hundred technical books including Oracle, Java, PHP, Solaris, Linux, Apache, MySQL, etc. and have read some portion of one or all. Not one, not a single one, has ever been paid for with company funds: these books are provide me an invaluable set of tools that stays with me wherever I may roam...and I do like to job-hop. Further, I just can't stand the thought of looking stupid in that next technical interview because John "Old Man River" Muhlstein, for example, can enthusiastically run up an Oracle data warehousing budget from $2 million to $8 million yet, mysteriously, can't allocate the roughly $60 to purchase a book for a company-sponsored 9iAS project. (I hate it when I get down to my last few hundred thousand and can't super size my value meal until next year's budget).

Education isn't part of life it is life itself. Buy those books and, please, oust those old school IT Managers. For my part, I am really bored debating flex time with those who used to ride a horse to work and still think that PowerPoint and MS Outlook (meeting requests) are mysterious tools of infinite productivity. Most importantly, read those manuals, links, online documentation, etc. as they are free. I learned everything I know (whatever that is) from the same. For what it is worth, I am entirely self-taught...which is why I know how to cipher better than my last ten bosses.

Aside from the generosity of Mr. Millsap, I have never attended a single Oracle, Java, etc. class in my illustrious career. Nevertheless, the Hotsos class I attended on performance tuning (along with his book, "Optimizing Oracle Performance,") was phenomenal. If I was going to court that old school boss to send me to a class this year it would be the next Hotsos seminar. After that, however, please have your boss fired so we can all get on with the business of IT instead of the brutally retarded politics.

By the way, most everyone on this list seems to be very dedicated and, in general, ask very valid questions. In short, my rants are directed at those who are even too lazy to find such a list...actually, in all fairness, many of them haven't been told about the Internet. At this stage, please keep it our little secret.

Ellis

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it away from him. An investment of knowledge always pays the best interest.

Benjamin Franklin