RE: Creating Histograms

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:13:56 -0400

Ok, so let's say I've done all that: =20

	I've identified my target columns that are being used as predicates.
	Next,  create the histograms on these columns by using =
gather_table_stats
	The number of buckets I need is determined by the number of distinct =
values in the column. I want to have a 'value' histogram instead of = 'height' so I need at least as many buckets as I have distinct values..

        I now have to use method_opt repeat because if I don't it will default = back to one bucket min/max value band the next time I run = gather_schema_stats, right?=20

But, now you've scared me ~=20

        I could be mistaken but 'russian roulette' usually refers to a bad = thing<g> but maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm not aware of any bad things = related to the use of gather_schema_stats. Would you elucidate on that = comment a little? Are there other, better, options for maintaining the = histograms once they are created?

I'm thinking you've politely answered my questions but you are thinking, = "That's not the way I would do it." =20