RE: GLOBAL_NAME change

From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:01:30 -0400

Thanks I didn't take attention to the command, but I used the update and in 4 years didn't have any problem, in a standard database using the update.

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS [mailto:DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM] Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 1:46 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'

Dick - You are correct. The problem is that I have an existing database = that
does not have the domain as a part of the GLOBAL_NAME. Near as I can = tell,
the ALTER DATABASE RENAME command always tacks the domain on. That is = what I
want and I intend to use that to change it.=20 However, part of making a change is to have a backout plan. I don't = like
the idea of making a change without a possibility of undoing that = change.
Thanks to Juan and Scott I have that backout method (UPDATE) in case I = need
it, and I hope that I don't.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."=20 -- C.S. Lewis

From: Scott Canaan [mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu] Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 11:16 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

I usually just go in and update it. Then you can set it to whatever you want.=3D3D20

Update global_name
Set global_name =3D3D3D 'sid';
Commit;

Scott Canaan (srcdco_at_rit.edu)
(585) 475-7886
"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.