RE: GLOBAL_NAME change

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:54:04 -0400

Donald,

        Believe I say your suggestion on Metalink, if not you then it was = someone else. The attaching of the domain to the global_name was stated = by Oracle's kernel group as "expected behavior". So I wouldn't bet on a = "fix".

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of DENNIS WILLIAMS Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 10:08 AM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: GLOBAL_NAME change

I am trying to switch to GLOBAL_NAMES=3D3DTRUE. If I have two databases =
=3D

and set
global_names=3D3Dtrue on database A, on database B I need to ALTER =3D DATABASE
RENAME GLOBAL_NAME TO sid.domain. Currently this database just has GLOBAL_NAME as sid.=3D20

     Now my question. If something goes wrong, does anyone know a way to change the GLOBAL_NAME back to just plain sid? It seems that the ALTER DATABASE RENAME GLOBAL_NAME command always helpfully slaps the domain on =
=3D

the
sid. In theory since I'm not changing GLOBAL_NAMES=3D3DTRUE on database = B,
nothing should be affected (like its existing links). But it bothers me =
=3D

make an irrevocable change.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

Does believing you're the last sane man on the planet make you crazy?

       Del Spooner in I Robot, played by Will Smith