RE: Rollback Segment Philosophy

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:47:12 -0400

Kevin,

My philosophy about Rollback Segments is to have enough and the correct size so that we never experience a "Snapshot too old".

Beyond that, it all comes down to implementation. I end up sizing the rollbacks so that 99% of the time, everything works fine. If a job blows up because of rollback problems, I ask the application folks to redesign it - change the commit strategy so that it doesn't happen again.

It's all a balance between reserving (wasting) too much space in Rollback Segments and getting the job done. Sometimes you have to add rollback segment space, and sometimes the applications folks need to alter the job being run.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional