No stats, why the heck is CBO running???

From: Grabowy, Chris <chris.grabowy_at_lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:40:21 -0400

Hello All,

We have NO stats on all the tables/indexes in SYS. Parallel and instances for all tables/indexes in SYS is set to 0 or 1. The optimizer mode is set to CHOOSE. We are not using any new features that requires the CBO.

Yet a simple query to find the "next extext that wont fit" is always using the CBO???

This SQL queries DBA_TABLES and DBA_FREE_SPACE. There are NO hints in the SQL.

What the heck?

I kicked off a 10053 trace, and now Im searching my pile for Wolfgang's paper. Hopefully, that trace will give me some clues why RBO is not used??

BTW, when the query runs with CBO then it 4031s. The explain plan costs are insane. Probably because there are no stats and the stats are made up.

Is it Monday? Any ideas?

Chris