Re: your explain plan script

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:28:06 -0400

On 07/18/2004 11:36:16 AM, tboss_at_bossconsulting.com wrote:
> Fwiw, Here's a script to neatly show plan_table output that I picked
> up somewhere or another. If someone claims ownership, i'd be more
> than happy to put in a "Copywright John Q Public 2001" message every
> time I use it :-)

I have a script just like this, and it differs in minor details from you script, but I haven't used it ever since the advent of version 8i and dbms_xplan package. A simple
select * from table(dbms_xplan.display());

will give you all you need, and keep track of possible new columns in the PLAN_TABLE, so that I don't have to. To be even smarter then that, you can simply run one of two shipped scripts:
$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlxplp.sql (gives parallel output, if the query is parallelized) $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlxpls.sql (serial)

It is time to retire the old "CONNECT BY PRIOR ID=PARENT_ID" magic.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA