RE: Re[2]: to_number question

From: Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:42:17 +0200

from the theoretical perspective, a (sub)query is a table. a table is a set of rows, and you can specify/describe sets in several ways, just like you can do in mathematics. for example: - you can list/enumerate the elements, as in {2,3,5,7} - you can describe the elements, as in {x|x is prime and x<10}

the above two sets are identical.

you see the resemblance of the second expression with a query? something like:
SQL> select n from natural_numbers where n<10 and is_prime(n);

so a query does not result in a table, a query *is* a table.

about the issue that started this thread: before you can even discuss meanings and correct results, expressions should be *well-formed* in the first place. the outcome of an ill-formed expression is undefined; formally, you should always get an error message.

Kind regards,
Lex.

visit my website at http://www.naturaljoin.nl