Re: 9.2.0.5, views, queries, and pushing predicates.....

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:33:51 -0600

If we follow the argument that was brought forward in the to_number thread, then the predicate must never be pushed into the view because the writer of the sql obviously wanted the view to be "materialized" before applying the outer predicate.

At 12:33 PM 7/16/2004, you wrote:
>My test case had the following SQL to demonstrate the problem:
>select * from xan_view where doc_id = 38943105;
>and with the patch applied, this did the right thing. However, in the
>real world, we use little things called BIND VARIABLES.
>
>If you re-write the above query and execute:
>
>variable b1 number;
>exec :b1:=38943105;
>select * from xan_view where doc_id = :b1;
>
>IT FAILS!!! ARGH! I mean, I never considered that the fix would only
>address the case where a literal is specified! So, it took two weeks to
>get the patch, and I'm right back where I started from!!!

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation
http://www.centrexcc.com