Re: Getting recovery experience

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:01:26 -0600

You don't need to wait for things to fail to practice recovery. There are plenty of opportunities in the day-to-day tasks of a dba. Of course, there needs to be support of management to take longer to finish a specific task (then again, it may take less time).

NOTE: Do not 'practice' on a production system. Unless you like to go on countless interviews in an attempt to find another job in this market.

Good opportunities:

    Development/QA/staging needs a total refresh of the database from production.     Development has completed one release and needs the database copied as a new database for work on the next release.

    A database needs to be moved from one server to another.

There have been several postings recently about backups that were unrecoverable. This is a great way to verify the integrity of your backups.

Case in point:
A rollback segment (7.3) was corrupted on a Friday night, the paging system failed and it was not discovered until Monday morning. By that time, we could not 'fix' the segment and had to perform a recovery. I had noted previously that this database was at risk due to a known bug that corrupted archived redo logs, but was told by application management we don't have time to take the system down to make this change. We tried to perform the recovery...first archive log we attempted to apply was corrupt! And they only did hot backups and we had nearly 3 days of transactions to recover. Sorry, Charlie, your db is toast, we *can't* recover it. The best we can do is to recreate it and load in the export from Thursday night. By the way, you'll have to manually recreate all the transactions from Thursday night to the present.

When we reviewed this with the development staff as a warning (they were using 7.3 as well), they responded that they had not been able to use the backups we supplied them to recreate their databases (weekly operation). I guess we should have told you about it....

I somehow restrained myself (shock to those who know me) and no one was beaten about the head and neck...

Regards,
Daniel Fink