RE: oracle vs sybase cheatsheet

From: Mary Bahrami <mbahrami_at_seattletimes.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:23:41 -0700

I'm only a couple months ahead of you! This is good start: =20

http://www.selectorweb.com/sql_sybase.html

http://www.rocket99.com/sybase/sybase1.html

Also, two books that helped me enormously are: sybase sql server 11 dba survival guide (J Garbus) - excellent basic = guide for dba tasks, install, env setup, dba scripts; I inherited sybase = 11.0, which is antique, the product was improved enormously in 11.5 and = again in 12.5, so it's important to know your version.

sybase sql server 11 unleashed - (includes programming in isql also)

docs are at sybase.com

One shocker for me was that the transaction log is not truncated after a = complete backup (in 11.0, at least), you need to do it manually or it = will grow until it runs out of space....I'm used to SS2000.

HTH,
Mary