Re: oracle vs sybase cheatsheet

From: <tboss_at_bossconsulting.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:08:00 -0500 (EST)

I'm coming the reverse way, actually. I've found no similar reference book out there.

I have a pseudo-cheasheat online at:
http://www.bossconsulting.com/oracle_dba/oracle.cheatsheet

Though, its probably inaccurate in some areas. I've been fully in Oracle for a while and should probably do some updating.

Quick "get you started answers:"

Environment setup:
- $SYBASE is the rough equivalent to $ORACLE_HOME; $SYBASE/bin/isql needs to work, just as $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus works. Set this variable in your .profile. - You'll probably want to also set $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as Sybase uses a lot of dynamic linked librarires. Set it to $SYBASE/lib. - $DSQUERY is the equivalent to $ORACLE_SID, but its not necessary if you always specify the server name in your isql command. - the Sybase "interfaces" file is the Oracle equivalent of tnsnames.ora; you'll want to make sure this file is configured correctly else you won't be able to log in via isql.

$SYBASE/bin/isql -Uusername -Ppswd -S$DSQUERY is the Sybase equivalent of $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/pswd_at_ORACLE_SID

Sybase terminlogy is a bit different than Oracle's: - a sybase "server" is the oracle "database" - a sybase "database" is the (rough) equivalent to an oracle "tablespace."

Sybase "run" scripts are located in the $SYBASE directory usually; these are equivalent to dbstart/dbshut scripts in Oracle.

Once logged into isql, you'll see a SQL> prompt; you can do "select @@version" to get your exact sybase version.

Hope this helps; feel free to email me offline if you have more specific questions; hopefully I can help :-)

Todd
tboss_at_bossconsulting.com