Re: Composite Index Order VS Query Order ?? , Tuning Docs URL ?.

From: Dan Tow <dantow_at_singingsql.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:58:00 -0500

Regarding question #1, if I understand it, you are asking if the order of the WHERE clause conditions needs to match the order of the indexed columns. It does not. WHERE-clause order is irrelevant in all but the most obscure cases. Certainly it is irrelevant in this case. The best reason to worry about WHERE-clause order is just that the order should be easy to read and understand for the human developers maintaining the application - Oracle's optimizers can (and do) perfectly well rearrange the order it checks those conditions to enable the best execution plan and indexes it finds.

Dan Tow
650-858-1557
www.singingsql.com