Re: DB mirroring

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:50:10 +0800

If storage is seperate [and it should be for D.R], 9iRAC isn't an option. 9iRAC is only for Shared-Storage [although you could mirror 9iRAC across two sites].

DataGuard is the easiest option. DataGuard will propagate all your DDLs. You might have issues if using a Logical Standby which actually "mines" SQLs from the RedoLog [ArchiveLog] stream.

HW vendors also have other options
-- e.g the old Digital/Compaq DRM offers mirroring of storage across two sites. You need to have a node connected to the mirrored storage and "break the link" between the two and startup the DB Instance on the D.R site [the node can also be configured to come up with the same hostname/ipaddress as the primary node !]

Hemant
At 10:40 PM Tuesday, you wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I have two servers A and B. ... allowed to communicate over LAN (ie. no
>shared storage).
>
>If one server dies, clients should access the other, so they need to be in
>sync. ....
>
>1. RAC - this requires shared storage as far as I can tell from the
>whitepaper.
>2. Oracle Data Guard w. primary/secondary servers. ......
>
>What other options are there? Is there a "mirror all ddl+dml operations on
>this DB to that DB" option?

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."