Re: DB mirroring

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:55:46 -0600

Morten,

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a replication/standby/DG expert. But I have dealt with this type of situation before, unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I was not around to see what was actually implemented.

  1. RAC requires shared storage. 1 database -> Many instances.
  2. This is probably your best option. Data Guard is intended to be used in this situation. IIRC, you will need manual intervention, there will be downtime and there *may* be loss of data.

Other options:
1) mirror DML/DDL...sounds like a trigger or Quest's Shareplex. If it is a trigger, you are talking about maintaining a db_link and having a distributed database. Requiring the commit on the remote database (only way to "guarantee" sync) will be problematic, introduce additional points of failure and will probably be a performance killer. This database sounds far too dynamic for this.

2) Oracle streams? My impression is that this product may offer some assistance. I've never used it, but have read papers/presentations by some excellent non-marketing folks.

Good luck.

Daniel Fink