$ORACLE_HOME on JFS2/AIX5.2 ?!

From: Prem Khanna J <premj_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 13 Jul 2004 10:16:55 -0000

Hi all,
the env is oracle 9.2.0.4/AIX5.2

an excerpt from metalink forum about large files on JFS2 in AIX5.2 this is what a support analyst says:

<quote>
"If placing the Oracle Database's logs on a JFS2 filesystem, the optimal configuration is to create the file system with option  "agblksize=512" and to mount it with option "cio". This delivers logging performance similar, within a few percents, to the performance of a raw device.

In Oracle Database 9i, Direct I/O and/or Concurrent I/O can only be enabled at filesystem level on JFS/JFS2 and therefore $ORACLE_HOME and datafiles have to be placed in separate filesystems for optimal performance: $ORACLE_HOME would reside on a file system mounted with  default options, whereas datafiles and logs would reside on file systems mounted with the "dio" or "cio" option. </quote>

why should $ORACLE_HOME reside on a seperate file system and NOT on JFS2 ? Can $ORACLE_HOME also reside on JFS2 file system ? this is what my manager asked me and hence posting this query to the LIST.

In order to make our datafiles on new instances bigger (~8G), we are thinking of moving from JFS to JFS2 ? any caveats here ?!!

Can someone throw some light here ?

Thanks and Regards,
Prem.